Friday, May 4, 2012

Procrastination, or How I Waste My Life Away

It's amazing how large of a role procrastination plays in my life.

Right now I should be writing, getting some work done, but instead I'm dicking around on the Internet.

Sure I threw my back out so bad that I couldn't stand or lay down last night, stuck in a perpetual fetal position, needing my wife to help me up when I got stuck and couldn't get myself up and moving, but not today.

I'm by no means 100%.  I've been icing my back on and off all day and popping Ibuprofen, but I could be using this time to get something productive done.  Sure the simple act of writing this blog is a type of creative work, but it's not the one that I should be doing.

But this is the story of my life.  In school I waited until the last minute to write all of my papers.  I tricked myself into thinking that I did my best work under intense pressure.  Maybe I did, but I'll never know.  I've never gotten anything done ahead of schedule, I always finish right at the buzzer.

It's one of the traits that I hate about myself, but for some reason have never been able to conquer.  Since graduating, and before, I've mostly worked nights and had my days to myself.  I've kept them free to do all of the things that I've wanted to do but never gotten around to.

By now I should have written several novels and numerous screenplays, but I am just finishing up the first draft of my first novel, and I think I've only written six screenplays.  Sure I have a drawer (or computer folder) full of aborted attempts, but this isn't how I want to continue to live my life.

It's time for a change, a schedule, something that pushes me to use the time I have to get the most done.  To be proud of my accomplishments instead of wondering how another year has drifted by.  I need this change before it's too late.

Are you like me?  Do you procrastinate far to often?  Is it time for you to change your life too? Let's change together.

This is a nice little video about people like you and me:

No comments:

Post a Comment