Sunday, January 1, 2012

Memorial

Memorial #1 - IDW publishing

I picked this up on a whim during a visit to my local comic book shop while looking for another title.  After I brought it home and gave it a read, I was glad I had taken a chance on it.

Memorial is a new series from IDW that's written by Chris Roberson, with art by Rich Ellis.  It's a nice companion to IDW's other amazing series Locke and Key, and supposedly will follow the same format of a series of mini-series all strung together one after the next.

I don't want to spoil the entire issue for anyone, so I'll give a brief description of how the story begins:

We're introduced to the main character, a girl we come to know as Em, in an emergency room.  For some reason, she's lost all memory of who she is and what's happened to her.  The name Em is given to her by the people at the hospital, since the only thing on her, is a necklace and a charm with an engraved M on it. A year later she still has no memory of her former life.  She's gotten a job, a life, and one day when walking through the city, passes an alley with a store at the end that she was sure wasn't there before.  Once she enters the shop, her life is never the same again.


Creator Chris Roberson describes Memorial as Doctor Who meets Sandman by way of Miyazaki.  The world he's created in just the first issue, is so rich and interesting, that I'm definitely be along for the long haul.  Memorial now joins my short list of must read comics.

Check out the Memorial website here http://www.idwpublishing.com/memorial/
Artist Rich Ellis also has a website here http://www.elliscomics.com/wordpress/

No comments:

Post a Comment